Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week 11 Storytelling: The Fox

The Fox
            In many stories I have been portrayed as the weaker but smarter character. This doesn’t bother me because usually I get my way regardless of the obstacles. I have one very interesting story in particular that will catch your attention and make you agree with my point of view. 

It was just a normal day and I was out and about doing my daily tasks that a normal fox would do. I go out and look for food and avoid all predators or animals that may do me harm. For the most part my days are easy and relaxed. This is because I like to think that I don’t work hard but I work smart. What I mean by this is exactly what you think of it! I don’t use my brute strength or my speed to catch my prey but instead I think of ways to trick. Of course I am also not only seen as a smart animal but also a trickster with my bright and persuasive ways. 

Well, going back to the particular day I was telling you about, I had been working very hard to find food. Unfortunately that day I had bad luck finding anything and didn’t get to eat. So as the day went by, I got very tired and had to settle in a spot and just lay there. I just lay there for about two hours just chilling because the hunger had dominated me. 

With my luck I saw a little cake running down the road and I have to say it was a beautiful sight! As it ran it kept repeating this annoying phrase. “I've outrun an old man, and an old woman, and a little boy, and two well-diggers, and two ditch-diggers, a bear, and a wolf, and I can outrun you, too-o-o!” so the little cake came up to me and repeated the same phrase and when he did I was smart and acted like I couldn’t hear him. Of course I just lay there so he would have the guts to come closer. He got closer to me and repeated, “I've outrun an old man, and an old woman, and a little boy, and two well-diggers, and two ditch-diggers, a bear, and a wolf, and I can outrun you, too-o-o!” So I once again acted like I couldn’t hear him and the little cake got even closer to me and repeated the same thing. At that moment he was so close I could just gobble him up and... I did exactly that. I have to say that was one good-tasting little cake.

Author's Note: This story was written based off of Johnny-Cake found in English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1890). This is another version of the Gingerbread man, which, is a story I used to hear when i was younger in school. The story is about a little cake that outruns a bunch of people including a bear and a wolf. However, when the cake gets to the fox, the fox outsmart him by acting like he is deaf and makes him get close enough to wear the fox just gobbled him up. So the retelling of my story is in first person through the eyes of the fox to see what he was thinking when he did what ate Johnny-Cake. I chose the fox as the main character once again because as you can see from the story the fox is always smart. The first person view allows the reader to see what the fox really thinks about things. So that way we can all see what thoughts go through the tricksters mind and how the fox is always able to outsmart other characters in most situations.
   
 


(A Fox)

5 comments:

  1. Angel, It was really nice to read your story this week! All of the stories I have been reading lately seem to be from such creative people who have such interesting takes on the stories they read each week. Yours was just as good as any I had read. Great job! Can't wait to read what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel!

    I liked your story a lot! I really loved the first-person narrative style you used. I really got inside the fox's head which was cool. I like how he acknowledges that he is not the fastest nor the strongest but he is clever. I am trying to picture a running cake and I don't know if I should take it literally or metaphorically! Either way it's pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading stories that are told from 1st person! It makes the stories more personable to me. Not changing the story up too much kept the original story but in a different way. The only thing I would tell you to do is read the story out loud some simple spelling errors could be caught. I totally get missing them though because I do it all the time! Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angel,

    What a nice story! I really have enjoyed writing stories from a first person point of view in this class. I feel like it is the best way to know what the character really thinks and wants. I have tried to use different styles in my storytelling but usually I end up doing first person. You did a great job in the first person story. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what the fox would think when the cake was making fun of him. It added a lot of the detail to the situation going on. Excellent story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angel!
    I am glad that I stopped by to read your story. This is a really fun story. When I look at the image of the fox that you used, it makes me smile! You did a good job of getting into the character of the fox. Your author's note was helpful to point out some of the finer points in your story.

    ReplyDelete