Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Favorite Places

Boston, Massachusetts. I was born and raised in Boston during my early childhood. One thing that I have always loved about Boston is all the history found within the city. The harbor is where the Boston tea party happened in protest against british rule due to the unfair taxing given to the colonist of New England.
A picture of the Boston Tea Party museum in Boston Web Source: U.S. News
.
Venice, Italy. I traveled to Venice after study abroad at the University of Oklahoma in Arezzo, Italy.
Just being in Italy really sparked something in me that made me fall in love with the culture. Growing up in Boston my grandfather worked with many italians. Although we spoke in spanish to each other, he would always say expressions in italian to me but I never really payed attention to the details. I blame it on the ignorance of being an adolescent bilingual focused on just spanish and english and not being aware of other languages and cultures. Growing up I did not even realize how important it was to know more then one language until I got to college. Once I went to Italy I realized that I had quite the advantage over my traditional American peers because I was fluent in Spanish. I understood way more then just a normal english speaker and it was slightly easier to get a message through to an italian citizen because of the similarities in words. However, while in Italy I made it to Venice and just fell in love with the uniqueness of the historical city. It is truly a romantic and unique city that stood out to me on my travels in Italy.
Personal Photo of Venice; photo from July 2014

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how cool, Angel: Boston is indeed one of the amazing cities of the U.S. My aunt lives in Connecticut, and she has taken me to Boston a few times. And Venice... yes! D'accordo! I am sure you understood so much of what you hear there; I speak Italian, and I can understand a lot of Spanish (I shamelessly sing along to Juanes and other Spanish-language music, even though I don't understand all the words...). And I hope you will get a chance to go back to Venice again someday: I don't think I could ever get enough of that city. Maybe you will want to do an Italian project for this class: it is a land of beautiful stories, too!

    ReplyDelete