Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Reading Diary B

“Then there appeared the soul of my dead mother, Anticleia, daughter of noble Autolycus: she who was still alive when I left to sail for sacred Troy. I wept at the sight of her, and my heart was filled with pity, yet I could not let her approach the blood, despite my grief, till I had questioned Teiresias.”
            Reading this just made me feel really bad for Odysseus because of the shock he received. Even I was shocked when out of nowhere his mother is now dead.  I cannot the imagine the pain he had to go through seeing her and denying her to get close to the blood in order to talk to her. This sounds like it is the worst tragedy you can possibly go through to me.
 There he lies, burdened with age, grieving, nursing great sadness in his heart, longing for your return. So too fate brought me to the grave. It was not the clear-sighted Goddess of the Bow who slew me in the palace with gentle arrows, nor did I die of some disease, one of those that often steals the body’s strength, and wastes us wretchedly. No, what robbed me of my life and its honeyed sweetness was yearning for you, my glorious Odysseus, for your kindness and your counsels.”
         At this point I believe Odysseus has just about suffered the most on his travel back to his homeland. I mean what could be worse then having a parent die while you are gone from home? Even better is talking to your dead parent about their death and how they died in grievance of your long absence. It just amazes me how strong of a man Odysseus is and how everything that is thrown at him he handles pretty well. However, I believe that this one event breaks him inside. I mean who would not be broken at this point?
            Aegisthus it was who engineered my fate, inviting me to his palace for a feast, murdering me with my accursed wife’s help, as you might kill an ox in its stall. I died wretchedly, and round me my companions were slaughtered ruthlessly, like white-tusked swine for a wedding banquet in the hall of some rich and powerful man, or at a communal meal, or a great drinking session.

Wow! I thought Odysseus had it bad with his fate of never getting to his home because of all the obstacles. Now I look at Agamemnon and see that he had it much worse then Odysseus. I mean what is worse then coming home to your loved ones then getting back stabbed and killed. That is a serious unfortunate event for this man.

These words he answered, swiftly: “Glorious Odysseus: don’t try to reconcile me to my dying. I’d rather serve as another man’s labourer, as a poor peasant without land, and be alive on Earth, than be lord of all the lifeless dead.



These to me are the deepest words that could possibly be spoken by the dead to the living. I mean I can just feel how much Achilles wants to be alive through his words to Odysseus. It is very unfortunate on how the story of Achilles ended. I have to say he was probably one of my favorite characters from the Iliad because of his bravery and skills at fighting. However, It is pretty impacting on how the spirit responded to the living. I mean what else can the dead say to the living?

Statue of Achilles Dying 

No comments:

Post a Comment